Sunday, January 31, 2016

Secret Life of Bees: A Narwhal Good-bye

Well friends, the time has come. I could probably dig a little deeper and share more wedding stories with you all and tell you not to sweat the small stuff, or about how I still have a hard time thinking about how expensive weddings are and I could probably find excuses to share many more photos, but the reality is, I think it's time to end my journey on the bee!

I've been trying to think of some fun little things to share on my contribution to the Secret Life of the Bees series and figured a little more insight into life with the Narwhals would be a fun way to say my see you later.

We Have Chickens!
Mr. Narwhal would love to be a straight up farmer, and we've talked about getting more animals, but I think having fresh eggs is about all that our life allows for at the moment. Mr. Narwhal is the chicken tender (not of the edible variety ;) ) around here. Our 19 chickens provide us with an egg a day on average, and our fridge generally has a few too many dozen floating around. We sell our eggs to a local produce farmer (which she sells to her clients) and we are never short of a hostess gift!

All photos personal
Mr. Narwhal with one of our ladies! Some of our ladies are experiencing a bit of typical winter molting (feather loss). 


We're Permanent
Mr. Narwhal and I discussed getting matching tattoos quite early in our relationship and last winter we finally got them done! With a shared love of music and Alanis being one of our favourite artists, Mr. Narwhal proposed the line "catch this drift" from All I Really Want for our tattoos that I suggested to be in each others hand writing.

and what I wouldn't give to find a soul mate, someone else to catch this drift. 

We should probably work on getting an updated picture ;)

Some may totally call cheese on this one, but we love them and are super happy with how they turned out.

The Amy Salad*

*I definitely don't speak in the third person - this is what friends and family have started calling my salads :)

There is some sort of phenomenon to the salads I make. If we ever have any sort of dinner or potluck with friends and family, I am always asked to bring the salad. If someone is trying one for the first time, 9/10 someone will either ask for the recipe or tell me that it was the best salad they've ever had. I really don't get it because they seem so simple to me, but I love making them. So, I'm going to venture a guess that love is an important ingredient ;)

For fun, I'm going to share a recipe for the combinations used for a typical Amy salad.



Green base 

  • A handful per serving of a leafy green. We usually have just baby spinach, but if I'm making a big salad I will bulk it up with some sort of lettuce. 
  • Sprouts/Microgreens 
Favourite Veggies (typically I keep to a max combo of 3)
  • Cucumber 
  • Peppers
  • Carrots 
  • Jicama 
Toppings
  • Feta is a staple in our house 
  • A nut/seed is necessary - Almond slivers, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, walnuts
Other Fun Additions 
  • Fresh herbs: dill and basil are favourites
  • Pomegranate seeds in the winter, and berries in the summer
  • A dollop of hummus (makes for a creamier salad)
Dressing 
I will usually do an olive oil and vinegar combo but have a favourite dressing recipe to share that yields enough to makes several salads. Shake or blend together. 
  • 1/2 cup olive oil (canola is okay too)
  • 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
  • 2-3 cloves of minced garlic
  • salt and pepper 


What Now? 
As we enter our sixth(!!) month of marriage, we are kind of just going with the winter flow these days eagerly waiting the warmer months.

Last summer was kind of a write-off with wedding planning so we're really looking forward to enjoying this upcoming summer. I foresee lots of time enjoying the Muskoka summers - canoeing, camping, hiking, gardening, house projects, friend dates and lots and lots of lazing in the sunshine. For now we're busy with work and the playoffs for the hockey team Mr. Narwhal coaches. You can usually find us hanging out in front of the fireplace keeping warm in the evenings.


Honeymooning/Ruby Beach, Washington


To all of the Weddingbee readers and my fellow bee bloggers I'll miss blogging on the hive so very much, but will always look back fondly on this time. I promise I'll pop in every once in awhile to say hello. Thank you for reading along in our wedding planning journey. It has been such a wonderful experience and it really enriched a special time of our lives.

Much love,

Narwhal/Amy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment