Thursday, November 6, 2014

getting the engagement photos you want

We were incredibly fortunate to love about 90% of our engagement photos. Seriously guys, I was so nervous that I wouldn't like them. I wasn't worried about Mr. Narwhal (I knew he'd photograph well), but what if I photographed badly? What if they just looked bad?

I kept telling myself that as long as I loved at least five of them, that's all that mattered. I know that sounds crazy when you're talking about hundreds of photos, but I was that nervous, so as long as I loved a few, I told myself I would be good.

Fortunately, I think we did all the right things to get the great photos we did. There are very few I dislike in the bunch. So I thought I would share some tips for getting the engagement photos you want!

Pick the right photographer
If photography is a priority, do your research! It might be considered "risky" hiring two young photographers in their first official year of business, but we loved what we saw. I just had a feeling about them. Love your photographers photos. Love their style. It's a big chunk of the budget for a lot of people, so make those dollars count!

Communicate your wishes
When we first met our photographers I asked them if they were open to suggestions and inspiration (they were). I invited them to follow a specific board on Pinterest with engagement and wedding photo inspiration. I can completely tell they did their homework. I'll let the photos do the talking.

capturing other little details // via 
our photos // courtesy of isos photography

smiling while holding your man // via Gracenote Photography
our photos // courtesy of isos photography 
laughter and fun // via art & soul
pure laughter // photo courtesy isos photography 

Pick two perfect outfits
I'm a big advocate for a new outfit, and two of them. First of all, new outfits just make you feel good. When you feel good, you feel confident. When you feel confident, you look good. It's also good to have two outfits. One might photograph better than the other, and it's always good to have a back up plan (or outfit).

Have fun
I know I said this already, but I cannot stress it enough. Pretend your photographers aren't there. Guidance is fine, but when you get too posy, photos can feel stiff. Be natural. Be you. I think the reason why I love these photos so much is because I feel like they really captured our love, and our personalities.

Now, for an all too fun photo that may look like a blooper, but actually is just a hilariously accurate depiction of us:

courtesy of isos photography

Me: overly interested in the dog, always in need of cuddles.
Nelson: distracted and being a goof.
Mr. Narwhal: contemplative, enjoying the outdoors.

Do you have any engagement photo tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment